Adopt a Dog
At NEADS, a furloughed favorite is a dog who, for behavioral, temperamental or medical reasons, doesn't meet our strict standards to become a working dog. These dogs are then put up for adoption to the general public.
Many NEADS dogs go on to become a working dog for a person who has hearing loss or a disability. So how come some dogs don't make it? There are many reasons, and they may not be the reasons you expect. Some dogs have medical conditions like allergies or hip dysplasia, which prevent them from being ideal assistance dogs. Other times, dogs exhibit behavioral patterns (like chasing squirrels) that seem unimportant, but could cause problems for an individual with a disability. On other occasions, a dog may lack the aptitude or motivation for training.
NEADS has extremely high standards for its assistance dogs and recognizes that not every dog is meant to be a working dog. However, every dog deserves a loving family. Therefore, dogs that do not meet our strict requirements to become an assistance dog are put up for adoption. We affectionately refer to these dogs as furloughed favorites.
In order to adopt a furloughed favorite, click the "application" link below and fill out the application. Once your application is received, you will be added to an email list that has postings for our newest adoptable dogs. If you are interested in a dog that appears on the email list, please respond as soon as possible. If you are an appropriate candidate for the dog, one of our trainers will get in touch with you.
Before you apply to adopt one of our furloughed favorites, please be aware of the following:
- Our dogs include mixed breeds that come from shelters and purebreds from our puppy program.
- Our dogs are not offered on a "first come, first served" basis. Our trainers evaluate the best home for each dog based on the applications that are received.
- These dogs may have obedience or behavior problems. We share detailed information with potential adopters about the dog's temperament, personality, training, and why the dog did not become an assistance dog.
- Preference is given to New England residents in order to facilitate our adoption process.
- Adopters are asked for financial reimbursement to cover the cost of the dog. The cost of each dog varies based on the dog’s age, training level, and comparable retail cost.
To apply for a furloughed favorite, click below!