Overview of the position: The Canine Center Supervisor is responsible for the daily operations of the newly renovated NEADS Canine Center (31-run kennel where Service Dogs and Service Dogs in Training are housed when at our Princeton campus) and is responsible for the overall care, safety, and well-being of the dogs during their stay. The Supervisor oversees the Canine Center/Kennel staff, volunteers, and interns, including their training, scheduling, and dog-handling methods. The Supervisor is responsible for developing the Canine Center strategic business plan and following through with its tactical execution.
- Oversee daily procedures in the kennel environment and ensure all protocols, processes, and procedures are followed and completed.
- Administrative duties include maintaining essential records and statistics and setting up paperwork for incoming dogs.
- Manage dog food inventory.
- Work closely with secondary Canine Center supervisor, including implementing new ideas to continually improve Canine Center operations and canine enrichment.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Canine Operations.
Staff & Volunteers:
- Train and supervise Canine Center staff and volunteers in NEADS-approved dog handling methods.
- Serve as communication link between Canine Center team and Director of Canine Operations, Medical team, and Training Department.
- Oversee Canine Center interns.
- Oversee daily kennel operations to ensure that dogs have a safe, sanitary environment and that facility is meeting high safety and sanitation standards.
- Ensure that the facility and all Canine Center appliances are in working order.
- Duties include sanitizing facilities, properly feeding and medicating dogs, bathing and grooming dogs.
- Communicate with Medical and Training departments about canine medical and behavioral observations.
- Must have leadership ability, positive attitude, and strong work ethic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and must be able to communicate in a clear, positive, and productive manner.
- Strong presenting and teaching skills, for volunteer orientations and staff/volunteer onboarding.
- Must be able to teach and reinforce Canine Center specific dog handling and Canine Center operations in a constructive and ongoing manner.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
- Must be well-organized and able to adapt to unplanned events.
- Must work well within and contribute to the Canine Operations team.
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience managing and leading a diverse team of staff.
- Good knowledge of canine behavior and husbandry skills.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the NEADS mission and the nonprofit sector.
Physical Demands: Bending, kneeling, stooping. Working outside in all weather conditions. Periods of sitting, periods of gazing at a computer screen. Must be able to lift 50lbs.
Work Environment: Desk is located by the Canine Center activity hub; similar to open-office style environment. Activity hub is surrounded by kennels and dogs; some of which bark.
TO APPLY: In order to be considered candidates must submit a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements.
Job Type: Fulltime, Exempt