To become a NEADS volunteer, please view the opportunities below, then fill out our online application. Please note that our volunteer opportunities and needs fluctuate throughout the year, so we may not have an opening that immediately matches your area of interest.
See information on raising a puppy.
Weekend Puppy Sitter
Weekend Puppy Sitters will take puppies out of the NEADS Early Learning Center during the weekends to expose them to life in a home. The Sitter will be matched with a puppy from the Early Learning Center but will not likely take the same puppy home for multiple weekends. Due to the puppy's young stage of training and the very short commitment of the puppy sitters, the sitter will not be allowed to take the puppy into places of business like restaurants, stores, hospitals, etc. Please note that to be considered for a puppy sitter volunteer opportunity, you must complete the puppy-sitter-specific application through the link below.
- Providing adequate daily exercise as recommended by your NEADS trainer
- Providing a safe, healthy and loving environment for the puppy
- Following NEADS guidelines and procedures as outlined by the puppy program
For more information, including FAQs, click here.
Click here for the Landlord Consent Form.
The Weekend Puppy Sitter application process starts with a pre-qualifying questionnaire:
Early Learning Center (Puppy House) and Kennel Volunteer
Volunteer support is critical to building a solid foundation for the dogs' service dog training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Walking and playing with dogs, including monitoring puppy play groups if in the ELC
- Assisting staff with facility daily operations, which includes laundry and kitchen tasks as well as thoroughly cleaning the ELC and Kennel
- Communicating with staff about dogs' behavior and health
We need reliable, enthusiastic people that are willing to help care for our adorable puppies and dogs!
For FAQs, including detailed information about scheduling, please click here.
To fill out an application, click here:
For information, please send inquiries to the Kennel Supervisor.
NEADS State Representatives
The NEADS State Representative is a 2-hour per week volunteer position. Your duties will be performed in your own state/region at your home or office. NEADS will provide education, scripts and DVDs to train you for public speaking events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide information about NEADS over the telephone. (NEADS will provide you with a separate phone line with a customized ring so calls can be answered professionally.) Give presentations at media events.
- Give information to potential clients about NEADS.
- Market for potential clients in your area.
- Promote NEADS in your local area at timely events and in donation campaigns.
- Record all contact you have with media or any publicity about NEADS and submit on a yearly basis.
For more information, please contact our Communications Department.
NEADS Internship Opportunities
Read about our Internship Opportunities here.
Professional, Creative and Administrative Opportunities
We encourage people to engage in a volunteer activity that draws upon their natural talents and interests. We welcome volunteers who can help with the items listed below.
- Event support
- Retail sales and merchandising
- Photography and videography
- Ushering at our graduations
- Administrative work
- Graphic design
- Phone support
If you are interested in volunteering for NEADS, please fill out the online volunteer application below. Please note that our volunteer opportunities and needs fluctuate throughout the year, so we may not have an opening that immediately matches your area of interest.