NEADS is looking for a versatile, high energy, professional to fill a unique full-time position as Puppy Raiser Instructor. This position will support and contribute to the process of training World Class Service Dogs.
NEADS places fully trained Service Dogs with people with physical disabilities and hearing loss, veterans with PTSD, and children with autism and other developmental disabilities. NEADS could not raise and train these dogs without the support of volunteer Puppy Raisers. Working with these Puppy Raisers and their NEADS pups in training, the Puppy Raiser Instructor will lead obedience and training sessions, organize socialization field trips, help individual Raisers address behavioral and socialization issues, and communicate appropriately with the volunteers and NEADS staff.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work weekends and travel regionally. The preferred candidate will have relevant experience with strong group teaching skills. As part of the on boarding for this position the successful candidate will undergo an in-depth training process with our Training Staff; as such, this position requires a long-term commitment.
This role also includes on-campus responsibilities, including assisting with daily operation tasks as needed in the Nursery, Early Learning Center, and Canine Center.
- Group teaching and/or coaching experience with excellent interpersonal skills
- Basic knowledge of dog behavior and proper dog socialization
- Experience coordinating and interacting with volunteers in a non-profit environment; including excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot issues in real-time
- Self-motivated, hardworking, accountable, reliable, and well organized
- Strong attention to detail, communication skills, and technology skills
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and flexible to changes in daily routines
- Must work well with others and be teamwork-oriented
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and work in an indoor/outdoor environment year round
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must have the ability to work during weekends, after typical business hours, and travel regionally.
- Responsible for scheduling, organizing, and conducting weekly Puppy Raiser classes and field trips for volunteers.
- Lead training sessions, solve socialization issues, and communicate with multiple NEADS departments
- Review and file Raiser applications, waivers, communication sheets, field trip level sheets, and perform clerical duties related to Puppy Raisers.
- Communicate with Raisers about evaluations, medical issues, and match related information.
- Assist with new Raisers’ home visits, first time pick-ups, and first time field trips.
- Conduct Puppy Raiser orientations and attend Puppy Raiser Council meetings.
- Ability to pass a CORI background check.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of dogs
- Must develop and maintain canine handling skills approved by NEADS Training Staff
- Interact in a professional manner with all staff, volunteers, clients, and visitors
- Be well versed in NEADS program offerings, history, and overall Mission
To apply, please submit the form below. In order for your application to be considered, it must include resume and cover letter. Cover letter can be addressed to Lacy Gillotti, Director of Canine Operations. All applications will be reviewed by our hiring manger, but due to the number of submissions we receive, we will contact you only if we are considering your application.