The Weekend Puppy Raiser Instructor provides support and guidance for the volunteer Weekend Puppy Raisers who take NEADS Service Dogs in Training out of prison each weekend to work on socialization and maintaining obedience work that is taught during the week in prison.
The Puppy Raiser Instructor must be available to work weekends, after typical business hours, and travel regionally to areas surrounding the prison facilities (Concord, Gardner, Norfolk, Devens, MA & Cranston, RI) that house the puppies during the week.
The Weekend Raiser Instructor is responsible for:
- Managing volunteer Weekend Puppy Raisers
- Conduct new Puppy Raiser orientations
- Assist with home visits, first-time pick-ups, and first field trips for new Weekend Puppy Raisers
- Organizing and leading socialization classes for Weekend Puppy Raisers
- Classes focus on safe and successful exposures to public places and novel objects.
- Classes are lead in areas local to the prison facilities.
- Overseeing the success of the Service Dog in Training in public (socialization progress)
- Stay up to date on each dog’s progress and make sure NEADS protocols are being followed through classes and other communications with the Weekend Puppy Raisers.
- Communicate any issues that arise in classes to NEADS Trainers and work with Raisers and Trainers to resolve these issues.
The Weekend Puppy Raiser Instructor is also responsible for:
- All clerical duties pertaining to Weekend Puppy Raiser paperwork (maintaining Salesforce records and other reports as required)
- Communicating to the Weekend Puppy Raisers any upcoming information about the dogs they work with (evaluations, medical issues, and client matches)
- Attending monthly Council meetings
Position Requirements: Requirements include but are not limited to: self-motivated, hardworking, accountable, reliable, well organized, a strong attention to detail, good communication skills and technology skills. They must also have an ability to coordinate and interact with volunteers in a nonprofit environment. Finally, a Weekend Raiser Instructor must have availability to work weekends, after typical business hours, and travel regionally to areas surrounding our prison facilities.
Qualifications: An ideal candidate will have knowledge of dog behavior and proper dog socialization. They should have experience coaching/teaching groups with excellent interpersonal skills. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Physical Demands: Lift 50 pounds. Considerable time spent on feet and walking, and bending/crouching.
Work Environment: A Weekend Raiser Instructor is usually either at their desk or out in a public place for class.
To apply, please submit the form below. In order for your application to be considered, it must include resume and cover letter. All applications will be reviewed by our hiring manger, but due to the number of submissions we receive, we will contact you only if we are considering your application.
Job Application - Puppy Raiser Instructor
"*" indicates required fields