About internship opportunities at NEADS:
- We accept unpaid internships on a case-by-case basis.
- Interns commute to our Princeton campus throughout the internship, and must provide their own reliable transportation.
- Internships are typically driven by school requirements, and previous interns have worked towards an end goal of total hours, usually ranging from 120-480 hours. This translates to 20-40 hours per week, for 6-12 weeks.
- Internships do not include the opportunity to train our dogs or work directly with our training staff.
- Successfully attending and completing this internship does not signify that the attendee is a service/assistance dog trainer or qualified to train and/or place service/assistance dogs. Assistance Dogs International has specific standards that an individual must meet in order to be an assistance dog trainer – and taking part in this class does not meet these requirements.
Information below pertains to our Kennel Internship. Candidates should be college juniors or seniors majoring in Animal Behavior or similar fields. NEADS occasionally engages interns in other areas or departments (Development, Communications, or Administration), and interested candidates should submit a proposal to the CEO for consideration.
- Kennel Interns are overseen by the Director of Canine Operations, but work on a day-to-day basis with Kennel and Early Learning Center Supervisors.
- Kennel Interns typically work in our canine operations areas including the Kennel (adolescent and adult dogs) and Early Learning Center (puppies), and includes:
- Mastering general operations of the facilities (cleaning, prep work, and learning the daily routines).
- Experience is progressive, and begins with daily operations and can work up to dog handling.
- Learning about the training process of service dogs, how to read dog body language, about puppy socialization and canine enrichment, and how to handle dogs according to NEADS standards (which you may find different from your previous experience).
- Completing a research component in a mutual area of interest.
- Exposure to other educational opportunities such as sitting in on a client classroom session – if appropriate.
To apply, please complete this form, making sure to include a cover letter and resume. Please contact us at least 3 months in advance of when you would hope to start.