NEADS Furloughed Favorites
At NEADS, a "furloughed favorite" is a dog who, for behavioral, temperamental or medical reasons, doesn't meet our strict standards to become a working dog. These dogs are then put up for adoption to the general public.
NEADS has extremely high standards for its Service Dogs and recognizes that not every dog is meant to be a working dog. However, every dog deserves a loving family.
Each year, NEADS has a limited number of these dogs available for adoption. In order to adopt a furloughed favorite, click the button on this page to fill out the application. You will be added to an email list that has postings for our newest adoptable dogs. If you are interested in a dog that appears on the email list, please respond as soon as possible. If you are an appropriate candidate for the dog, one of our trainers will get in touch with you.
Please be aware of the following:
- There a only limited number of dogs available through our Furloughed Favorite program each year.
- Our dogs include mixed breeds that come from shelters and purebreds from our puppy program.
- Our dogs are not offered on a "first come, first served" basis. Our trainers evaluate the best home for each dog based on the applications that are received.
- These dogs may have obedience or behavior problems. We share detailed information with potential adopters about the dog's temperament, personality, training, and why the dog did not become an assistance dog.
- Preference is given to New England residents in order to facilitate our adoption process.
- Our released dogs are adopted as pets and should not be used as working dogs in any capacity.
- Adopters are asked for financial reimbursement to cover the cost of the dog. The cost of each dog varies based on the dog’s age, training level, and comparable retail cost.