Easing Through Fireworks
The 4th of July will soon be upon us and though NEADS dogs are known to be bullet-proof, fireworks can test the best of them. Remember, dogs’ sense of hearing is much greater than ours.
Here are our suggestions:
- We do not recommend bringing your dog to the fireworks.
- If your dog is left home alone during fireworks or thunderstorms, crate them and provide background noise such as soothing music, TV, fan, etc.
- Give your dog a stuffed Kong or an interactive food toy to keep them occupied.
- If you are home with them, play with them to keep them distracted.
- Don’t reinforce fear behavior with petting or coddling.
Thundershirts, Aromatherapy and Rescue Remedy are great tools but please discuss with your trainer, or veterinarian, for proper use and to make sure that they are the right fit for your dog.